Fresh from subscribing to a few WordPress related blogs by some of the people I met at WordCamp Malaysia, I decided I wanted to change the folder name into which I had added these feeds, a small change from “word-press-related” to a more straight-forward “WordPress”.
After a few minutes of looking at the options in the folder settings dropdown, “Settings > Folders and Tags”, and “Settings > Subscriptions”, I realised that there didn’t appear to be any way to actually rename a folder in Google Reader. Something which is a little odd, especially seeing as it’s a piece of cake to rename a subscription. You would think this functionality would be a simple thing to implement.
Anyway, after giving up on being able to rename the folder, I worked out what is probably the fastest way to reach the same result.
- Pick one of your subscriptions in the folder which you wish to rename, and add it to a ‘new folder’. Give the new folder the name you desire.
- Go to Settings > Subscriptions, and in the “Filter by name, folder, or URL” box type the name of the old folder. This will filter your results to show only subscriptions from the old folder.
- Click the “Select all X subscriptions” link in the top left and the in the “More actions” drop down, select the new folder you just created.
- Finally, head over to “Settings >Folders and Tags”, select the old folder and click “Delete selected”.
It’s a quite a few steps for such a simple task, and it’s made even more roundabout by being unable to create a new folder from the “more actions” dropdown in “Settings > Subscriptions”, but still, now I have a folder displaying the WordPress name with its proper capitalisation, along with a whole set of new feeds for my viewing pleasure.
Those feeds, in case you’re interested:
- Blog Junkie (David Wang)http://blogjunkie.net/feed
- Naoko McCracken – http://blog.detlog.org/feed/
- Terminal Junkie (Thomas Chai) – http://www.terminaljunkie.com/wp/feed/
- Aizatto – http://feeds.feedburner.com/StrangeSymphonies
Google Reader Icon created by jvstin on DeviantArt
It looks like this post is now redundant! The Google Reader team just announced that you can now rename subscriptions.