A big new point release for WordPress has hit the ground running this week. I’ve been running the beta for a little while on this site, but I’ve been so busy with work I haven’t really had a chance to test it out.
There’s a whole set of new features, but the big one is a new media manager which addresses a lot of problems that existed before – especially with regard to galleries.
Here’s a few images from the start of the year just to test out the gallery function.
Overall it does seem to add a few steps to the process, but it definitely looks much cleaner and the drag and drop ordering of photos is very nice.
Below are the highlights of the new features from the WordPress announcement. If you want to see the full list of features, check out what’s new over at the WordPress Codex.
- New Media Manager
- Beautiful interface: A streamlined, all-new experience
- Create galleries faster with drag-and-drop reordering, inline caption editing, and simplified controls
- Insert multiple images at once with Shift/Ctrl+click
- New Default Theme – Twenty Twelve
- Simple, flexible, elegant
- Mobile-first, responsive design
- Gorgeous Open Sans typeface
- Uses the latest Theme Features